Tabular Data / Processing model: column group

From: Christian Roth <roth@visualclick.de>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 15:49:28 +0100
To: public-html-comments@w3.org
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/tabular-data.html#processing-model-0>

says for column group:

> A column group is a set of columns anchored at a slot (groupx, 0) with a particular width such that the column group covers all the slots with coordinates (x, y) where groupx ≤ x < groupx+width and 0 ≤ y < yheight. Column groups correspond to colgroup elements. Not every column is necessarily in a column group.

What is the sentence

"Not every column is necessarily in a column group."

meant to convey as important information to the reader?

It seems to me that a column can only not be in a column group if it is an implied column. Implied columns only occur when there are no colgroup elements at all, meaning that *no* column is in a column group in this case, or after the last defined column group in a table (when there happen to be required more column slots in a row than there are columns explicitly defined).

I suggest rewording the sentence to

"Implied columns are not part of any column group."

as that seems to make it much clearer what you actually want to state.

-kris