RE: Proposal: ALT attribute for text

Martín Szyszlican wrote:

> I say this is very similar to ASCII-art or leetspeek.
> And there's a technique for that in WCAG:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/H86.html
>
> Specifically, this example: <abbr title="Austin Rocks">
> Au5t1N r0xx0rz</abbr>
>
> ¿What do you think?

Hi Martín,

I think that currently this is something of a work-around, as <abbr> is
intended for an abbreviation, and not an actual 'translation' of Au5t1N
r0xxz. The current behaviour of screen readers will be to afford the end
user an ability to understand what the leetspeek represents, but it fails on
the "semantic-ness" of the phrase. I think that Clint's suggestion warrants
further investigation, and as we are currently looking to finalize HTML5 why
not ask the question: "can we add @alt to a <span>?"

(Conversely, might we consider a similar inline element of <trans>
(translation), as in <trans title="Austin Rocks">Au5t1N r0xx0rz</trans>?
HTML.next?)

As a contextual sidebar to this discussion, I was pointed to a recent
blog-posting that raises some related questions: Do you ♥ words with no
letters?- http://ow.ly/6bPEH

JF