HTML5 P and UL

From: Pol Briand <polbrian@mandinga.fr>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:21:11 +0200
To: public-html-comments@w3.org
(form in http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/ sent me to page reading
"Because of how we filter for spam, you need to enable JavaScript to
use this form, sorry." though js is enabled (and tested) on my Firefox 3.6.12
for OpenSuse 11.1)

Concerns: The ul element, The p element

Semantically, paragraphs (P elements) may contain one or several LIST (UL or
OL elements). It is a question of context to display them as, for instance

+ lines identified with bullets, the original way

+ in-line comma-separated lists for a more compact appearance (maybe in print
or on cell phone displays); the whole list may be in brackets.

---

There are two issues about this:

+ The spec must accept UL and OL within P. The list is generally really part
of the paragraph.

+ In the case of the comma-separated list, the CSS determines the separator.
The comma comes after the li element, for all but the last. A last-child
selector would do better than the current workaround, li:before {content:", "}
li:first-child:before {content:""}. With this code, one must leave no
whitespace between the li elements and between the li opening tag and the
element content, if the comma is to stick where it must. The encoding is ugly
and editing (for instance changing the order or include/suppress list items)
prone to errors.
--
Pol Briand