Re: rel=sidebar queries

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Nathan wrote:

> rel=sidebar :
> The sidebar keyword indicates that the referenced document, if retrieved, is
> intended to be shown in a secondary browsing context (if possible), instead of
> in the current browsing context.
>
> So if the referenced document is shown in a secondary browsing context (will
> call it a sidebar from here), then:
>
> - do links within that referenced document display in the sidebar, or in the
> main browsing context (unsure of the correct term here)
>
> - if a link in that referenced document now shown in the sidebar has a
> rel=sidebar, what happens? does this indicate another third browsing context
> is created (and thus scope for recursion and infinite browsing contexts) or
> does it open in the already opened sidebar
>
> - (i fear the answer to this one may lie in the previous question) is there
> then scope for rel=main? are there any plans for more than two browsing
> contexts? for instance could there logically be a primary context with
> sidebar, then another below (think a firebug type display in the bottom half
> of the window)

These are all good questions, but the answer in each case is basically
"it's up to the browser". Secondary browsing contexts are browser-specific
features. They've been experimented with over the years, but have never
really taken off. Unless they do, I don't think we should try to restrict
how they work. Best to leave it open for now.