Re: Fulscreen Tag Proposal

From: Paul Ellis <paul@ellisfoundation.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:22:44 -0700
To: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Cc: Ron Reiter <ron.reiter@gmail.com>, Daniel Hendrycks <kondo8@hotmail.com>, "public-html-comments@w3.org" <public-html-comments@w3.org>
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:20:37 +0200, Paul Ellis <paul@ellisfoundation.com>
> wrote:
>
>  Any solution that requires creating another window and opening a new
>> document would create a lot of issues that would not compare favorably
>> with
>> any current popular web video plugin (Flash, Silverlight, etc). It would
>> not
>> be a very seemless transition. The <video> resource from the parent page
>> may
>> have downloaded hundreds of MB of data and then the new window would make
>> new separate request for the same resource. Certainly the browsers could
>> try
>> to aggressively cache video content for these situations but even that
>> wouldn't work in all cases (any HTTP connection that doesn't allow byte
>> range requests, e.g. HTTP 1.0), and it probably would not work very well
>> for
>> resource constrained devices such as smartphones and tablets. This type of
>> hand-off would have to happen every time the user switched between
>> fullscreen and embedded mode as well.
>>

> Browsers can and do cache resources that don't support byte ranges. About
> the topic at hand, I think the experience we want is to click a button or
> select "fullscreen" in the context menu, causing an element to go to
> fullscreen, still with the possibility of rendering some content on top of
> it, for custom controls and the like.

I suppose I wasn't clear in what I meant. Clearly browsers can cache
resources that don't support byte ranges. I was pointing out that if a new
connection is made for a resource that has previously only been partially
downloaded/cached, then the browser would not be able to resume the
download. It must start downloading the resource from the beginning.

Paul Ellis