Serious concerns about: dom-window-nameditem

From: Stephen Cunliffe <stephen.cunliffe@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:02:37 -0400
To: public-html-comments@w3.org
Hi all,

As a Web Developer constantly frustrated with dealing with IE issues with
custom variables/functions colliding with IE's default Global namespace
objects (considered a bug by ANY and EVERY developer I've talked to).

I've just been informed that there is a push in HTML5 to make this default
behavior:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#dom-window-nameditem

The "double-speak" of the spec makes it difficult to digest, but if I
understand the intentions correctly, the idea is to now propagate this
pollution of the global namespace to EVERY browser including the merging of
ID/NAME attribute values into this global set.

If I've somehow misunderstood the intentions and there is a clear, plain
English description of what this feature is to entail please advise.

Otherwise as a 12+ year UI developer for the web I would like to cast an
unequivocal 5,000% vote AGAINST this feature.

Thanks,
Steve