HTML 5 media type spec and HTML 2, 3.2, 4.x usage

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:56:58 -0600
To: "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Cc: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, public-html-comments@w3.org
Recent drafts say:

[[
    This document is the relevant specification. Labeling a resource
    with the text/html type asserts that the resource is an *HTML
    document* using *the HTML syntax*
]]
 -- http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/iana.html#text-html

And *the HTML syntax* doesn't include doctypes that are widely used in
documents that conform to HTML 2, 3.2, and 4.x specs and XHTML 1.x specs.

I think it's reasonable for consumers to treat those documents the way
that the HTML 5 spec says treat them, but I don't think it's reasonable
to say that those documents aren't text/html any more; I don't even
think it's reasonable to insist that people stop producing HTML 4.x
documents. I doubt that's really what anybody meant, but it's what
the document says.

Mike, Phillipe, and everybody, what do you think? What's a good way to
tweak this part of the spec?

(for my reference: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/364 )

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E