From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Sailesh Panchang
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 3:43 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Caption and Summary : [techs] Latest HTML Techniques Draft
Ref: http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS-20031104.html
The tech doc has always maintained that "It is rare to use both the caption element and the  summary attribute (in a table) since one or the other should be enough to provide a  description."
Comment:  It is a good practice to  have captions for all tables as it is like a table  heading and is visible to all. But the summary is not displayed on screen and is especially  meant to provide additional cues  for orientation / navigation to non-sighted users. For  complex / large tables   and  tables that use row/column spanning, useful info can be  conveyed through the summary  attribute. There are many times when both attributes  are  complementary  to each other and the HTML tech doc should not suggest that it is rare to  use both. In fact  the doc should suggest that one should  make the assessment for each  table   on a case by case  basis.
Take for instance even a simple table with 6 columns that lists e-mail messages by rows.  Let's say the first column contains   a checkbox for selecting messages. It is useful if  the captionsays "Sent Messages Folder"  and the summary says "Use the checkbox in the first  column to select   / unselect the message in the respective (or corresponding?) row".
I figured this out myself  on the MSN-Hotmail site that uses this design. A table caption  and summary   would make life simpler in this context for instance.
I have pointed this out to MSN Support too.
===
Sailesh Panchang (MS, ASQ-CSQE),
Accessibility Services Lead
www.deque.com