Re: form name attribute values

From: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 18:21:10 +0100
To: nathan@webr3.org
CC: public-html-comments@w3.org
Nathan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been looking through the spec for clarification on whether URIs can
> be used inside the name= attribute on form elements:
>
> <input type="text" name="http://ex.org/ns#name"...
>
> in addition the following syntax:
>
> name="uri[uri]"
>
> Any clarification?

The <input name> attribute is described in
http://whatwg.org/html#attr-fe-name where the only conformance
requirement is:

   "If the attribute is specified, its value must not be the empty string."

and I don't believe there are any other restrictions on it, so any URI
(and any other string) except "" is allowed. (You might want to also
avoid the names "isindex" and "_charset_" since they have special
processing behaviour in certain cases, though.)

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk