RE: HTML5's Q element

Ryan and TJ,

I think you have things backward.

In HTML tags are what identify the structure/content/semantics of a
document. Quotation marks (") have no semantic value at all. The q tag on
the other hand identifies a section of text as being a quote. Since q tags
identify something as a quote, as an object within the document, it makes
more sense to affiliate the symbols to surround the quoted text during
display with the objects themselves; meaning it makes more sense to have the
q tag dictate quote marks. As a programmer I will tell you that if I wanted
to identify quoted material I'd much rather parse a well-formed html
document for a q and /q  tag than " marks. Besides " is not a quote mark in
printing, there are open and closed quote marks.

I understand the frustration regarding the argument that because the browser
vendors do it that's the way it is going to be. I also understand Ian's
perspective, but I would say the browser vendors went the way they did
because it makes more sense from a development perspective and ultimately a
user experience to do things that way. The syntax of any programming
language first and foremost is designed to make parsing it for use by the
software into a data structure. If you think of html as informing an object
model, then your opinion about quotes and q-tags becomes more and more
invalid. The current implementation of q is far more flexible for the
greatest number of outputs and use-cases.

Ian missed a method of styling quotes the way you want:

quote</span>"</p>

Art C

Arthur Clifford

  _____