scrollIntoView scrolls what

From: Mike Buchanan <mbuchanan@google.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:39:51 -0800
To: public-html-comments@w3.org
It may be too late for this, but I think the spec would benefit from more
clarity and/or control of what element.scrollIntoView does.  In particular,
I'm thinking of the case where the element is contained in multiple
structures that can scroll (e.g. both the div and whole page, or one
scrolling div nested inside another).

As it is, the spec is unclear about which elements should be scrolled, and
there are scenarios in which there would be more than one way to scroll the
content into view.  I would suggest at least standardizing this; I propose
that when two possible solutions are available, the one that uses only
deeper elements of the DOM be used.

For even more control, another optional argument could be added that allows
the caller to specify which containers should be scrolled.

Cheers,
Mike

Addendum: Here's a bit of evidence that I'm not the only person who wants
this:
http://codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=169209
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Languages/Scripting/JavaScript/Q_22725518.html