Re: charset name matching rules

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:32:36 +0200
To: "Erik van der Poel" <erikv@google.com>
Cc: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, public-html-comments@w3.org
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:26:52 +0200, Erik van der Poel <erikv@google.com>
> I stopped testing when MSIE's tests said "script did not run" so
> often. We probably need to test it differently, instead of relying on
> a script.

Or maybe update your IE to a newer version?

http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090817#l-604 has the results for
IE8. In summary it seems IE8 only does whitespace trimming at start and
end and has ISO_8859-9 and ISO-8859_9 as alias but not ISO_8859_9. It also
treats ISO-8859-9 as Windows-1254 which makes sense I suppose and we
should probably require that.

I think the main issue with following the IE/Gecko algorithm is that
although it is much stricter it relies on more undefined aliases as well,
such as ISO-8859_9. So getting documentation from the IE Team and Gecko
guys on that would be good. (Have not checked whether Gecko actually
recognizes that alias, fwiw.)

Anne van Kesteren