Re: [HTML5] 2.8 Character encodings

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:36:06 +0200
To: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
CC: public-html-comments@w3.org
Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:
> I can write the string, but indeed, if I do it, it means 'Windows-1252'.
> Therefore effectively, I cannot indicate, that something is
> 'ISO-8859-1' and not 'Windows-1252'.

Olaf, from what you write it's not totally clear that you realize that
ISO-8859-1 is a proper subset of Windows-1252?

So the only difference would be the ability to diagnose problems in
documents that claim to be ISO-8859-1, but actually use C1 control codes.

That being said, I do agree with Larry that the spec should phrase it
differently.

BR, Julian