Re: [whatwg] HTML 5: Wording of "license" link type is too narrow

From: Arne Johannessen <arne@thaw.de>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:50:20 +0200
Cc: WHAT WG List <whatwg@whatwg.org>, public-html-comments@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008, Arne Johannessen wrote:
>>

>>> In particular, we don't want people to use rel=license to point to
>>> trademark licenses or patent licenses that _aren't_ copyright
>>> licenses.
>>
>> Why not, what's the downside?
>
> It dilutes the point of the feature. The idea is to provide a way
> for tracking pages that are covered by a particular copyright license.

Ah, makes sense.

>> What is the correct way to mark up links to, say, a trademark
>> license _not_ covering copyright, given the current draft of the
>> spec?
>
> Something like:

All right, so in other words there is no special mark up for this
particular case.

> In practice it's a non-issue since people rarely have Trademark
> licenses.
> Same with Patent licenses.

Point taken.

I was about to suggest adding a note explaining the reason for not
using rel=license to mark up trademark license links, but that's
pretty pointless in practice. I now think the current wording of the
spec is fine.

--
Arne Johannessen