Re: [whatwg] activedescendant in viewport (Re: scrollIntoView jarring?)

From: Aaron Leventhal <aaronlev@moonset.net>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 21:10:03 +0200
To: David Bolter <david.bolter@utoronto.ca>
CC: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, whatwg@whatwg.org, w3c-wai-pf-request@w3.org, W3C WAI-PFWG <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, Peter Kasting <pkasting@google.com>, public-html-comments@w3.org

I think if there is an attribute like this which also scrolls for you,
then it should be called activedescendant, not aria-activedescendant. I
don't see a problem if HTML 5 wants the attribute without aria- to drive
browser behavior. In that case perhaps it should style the active
descendant to it is active somehow.

In general it's easier to explain ARIA if there are some consistent
principles, such as, it doesn't drive browser behavior. It just allows
the JS developer to report what they did. And since the widgets also
need to work in older browsers that don't support ARIA, it's better if
the aria- attributes maintain that rule.

Otherwise, without that rule, it really is a slippery slope. First we
have aria-activedescendant scroll for you, so why not show it is active
for you? Why shouldn't aria-disabled actually make the item disabled?
Etc. etc. Pretty soon we're implementing the widgets for the author and
none of it works most browsers.

- Aaron