Re: 4.12.2.1: "paranoid user"

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:58:27 +0200
To: public-html-comments@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:

> I don't know of any useful documentation on the subject.

Nor me, not allowing 3rd party cookies is just common sense,
when I visit site A I'm not interested in cookies from B.

> IP addresses are, by and large, enough to perform pretty
> much all the tracking you might want

Depends.  Using the same small ISP dial-in users could end
up with getting similar IPs.  If they change ISPs or it's
a big ISP their IPs will differ.  Static IPs are of course
another scenario.

> sites can bypass third-party cookie blocking by doing
> first-party cookie transactions

They'd do a part of that with their own bandwidth.  Third
party cookies are not only a privacy issue, they are also
about bandwidth.

> blocking third-party cookies ends up breaking a surprising
> number of sites in subtle ways.

Their problem.  Third party cookies are known to be against
the interest of the users.

 Frank