Re: 4.13: URI decomposition - non-standard terminology

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Frank Ellermann wrote:

> >> But there is no <hostport> in STD 66 outside of appendix D.2 about
> >> obsolete terminology.
> >
> > Please follow the link given in that section to find the definition of
> > <hostport>.
>
> I did, but I'm not going to try it again now, many HTML5 links lead to a
> monstrous "editor's copy", where "bastard browser from hell" stopped

Ok, well, whenever you get around to it please do let me know if there are
any issues that need resolving in that section.

> I can't tell if the default port is always clear for various old and/or
> obscure schemes.

The default port numbers are all here:

Having said that, it isn't clear what browsers should do with URLs of
schemes they don't know (say, x-foo-bar://...). I should test that and
make sure it's covered. Filed bug 5859 about that. Thanks.

> >> port = *DIGIT, WTH is an empty port introduced by a colon ?
> >
> > I don't understand this paragraph.
>
> *DIGIT means "zero or more digits", and "zero digits" gives you an empty
> <port> after the colon in your <hostport>.  I've no clue what an empty
> <port> is.  Your draft discusses other potential issues, ending up with
> port 0 in these cases.  FWIW, port 0 is reserved.

I really have no idea what you're talking about here. Could you give a
code example that illustrates the case you're concerned about?

> Maybe, but there is yet no section 5.9.8 in the public version that BBFH
> can load.

What is BBFH? Which version of the spec are you reading that it doesn't
have a section 5.9.8? I'm confused.