Re: registering about:

From: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:55:33 +0100
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: <public-html-comments@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Yeah, only the "blank" space needs some level of interoperability.
> The rest can be left up to clients. What would it take to register
> this?

An informational RFC will do, for examples trying to use
the *new* URI scheme registration rules in RFC 4395 see
http://rtg.ietf.org/~fenner/ietf/deps/index.cgi?dep=4395

For approval the RFC needs a review on the IETF URI list,
but for serious questions better use the W3C URI list.

In essence RFC 4395 tells you what's required in the IANA
considerations (registration template), and that there
has to be a review (that catches nonsense, e.g. folks
trying to register *IRI* instead of URI schemes without
bothering to read RFC 3987 before, let alone RFC 4395 ;-)

For about: you likely don't need any I18N considerations.

But you certainly need security considerations (scripts
trying to grab sensitive data with about:, some typical
counter-measures, the works).

Add an intro explaining what about: is, that it is used
by several independent implementations, why about:blank
should be interoperable, ready.

Add normative + informative references as always, the
whole text (minus boilerplates) doesn't need to be more
than 5 KB.  If you want to try your luck with "xml2rfc",
but without the pain to learn its syntax, maybe grab...

http://xyzzy.webhop.info/home/test/draft-ellermann-news-nntp-uri-08.xml

...as an example (of course far too long for about:, but
it's tested xml2rfc input resulting in an Internet draft)

 Frank