Silently deprecating XHTML (was: HTML5 vs content type sniffing)

From: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:42:55 +0100
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: <public-html-comments@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> The text/html syntax allows you to use XHTML in as
> far XHTML 1.x as text/html allowed you to use it.

I want missing explicit tags as clear errors, not as
optional.  Case-sensitive, unforgiving, that is as it
should be from my POV (=> easier to debug).

> no prefixes, but <br/> works

mean <br />.

> I suppose xml:lang is the only difference

Right, some "transitional" (~ forever) side effects
are ridiculous, fortunately xml:id wasn't around :-)

BTW, your diff memo could mention that lang="" (or
xml:lang="") are now permitted for XML compatibility.
That wasn't the case in XHTML 1, it was forced to
stick to NMTOKEN (non-empty, as in HTML 4).

 Frank