Re: <big> and <s>

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:24:10 +0100
To: "Frank Ellermann" <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>, public-html-comments@w3.org

NB: personal view...

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:15:15 +0100, Frank Ellermann
<hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com> wrote:
> While we are at it, I often use <tt> when I am too lazy to
> decide if it's actually <code> or similar, or when a <pre>
> doesn't work as expected (a Wikipedia issue).  When you try
> "not so obvious" decision.

What are the use cases for <tt>?

> Getting rid of <u> because cheap devices could desperately
> need this visual (or whatever) effect for links and nothing
> else is fine.  But HTML5 is obviously not designed for cheap
> devices, and maybe HTML5 has other reasons to stick to this
> HTML4 deprecation of <u>.

<u> is still under discussion:

>>> Similarly all old (pre HTML 4) browsers I've ever used
>>> supported <s>, but not <del>.  IIRC at least one XHTML-
>>> based specification doesn't include the "edit-module".
>>> (Admittedly it also doesn't include the legacy-module)
>> Well, we're fixing that now, not? :-)
> You can't fix my old browsers, therefore I guess you mean
> "XHTML print".  That has a DTD, and HTML5 doesn't know what
> a DTD is, HTML5 is "tag soup reloaded", isn't it ?  <gd&r>

There's HTML5 and XHTML5. HTML5 has a custom syntax and XHTML5 uses the
XML syntax. If you'd write an "XHTML print" document a browser supporting
XHTML5 would process it as if it was XHTML5 ignoring the DOCTYPE (probably
apart from several known public identifiers that trigger the inclusion of
a set of entities...). If you'd write an "XHTML print" document and serve
it with the wrong media type (text/html) it would be parsed using an HTML5
parser, if that's what you mean. All the various XHTML 1.x profiles are
obsolete with XHTML5.

Anne van Kesteren