Re: <big> and <s>

NB: Personal view and all...

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:14:08 +0100, Frank Ellermann
<hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com> wrote:
> With a rather old text mode browser (Lynx) nesting <big>
> and <small> worked like a charme, and the same browser
> ignored <font> and similar markup for obvious reasons.

It's not obvious to me why it did not ignore <big> and <small>.

> Now it might make sense to deprecate <small> *and* <big>,
> but then I don't get the point of tackling *only* <big>.

There was a use case for <small> but not for <big>.

> Similarly all old (pre HTML 4) browsers I've ever used
> supported <s>, but not <del>.  IIRC at least one XHTML-
> based specification doesn't include the "edit-module".
> (Admittedly it also doesn't include the legacy-module)

Well, we're fixing that now, not? :-)

> Authors interested to create pages "visible with any
> browser" need the <s>.  I recall my failing attempt to
> find "diff marks" (with Netscape 3) in a W3C document
> using <del> for this job.

Are such browsers still used? I believe all browsers support <del> and
<ins> now.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>