Re: Table of contents tag for html 5?

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:56:08 +0000
To: Daniel Benamy <dbenamy@optonline.net>
CC: public-html-comments@w3.org

Daniel Benamy wrote:

> There could also be attributes which control how the table of contents
> is generated, such as whether the entries are numbered or not or which
> headings are included (all, only those after the <toc>, only those
> before, only headings greater than n, etc.)

The main problem with this is that it would break incremental rendering; the toc
couldn't be rendered completely until the entire document has been fetched, so
the UA would have to re-layout the page to insert the toc, creating an
unpleasant user experience.

In general, this feature seems like something that would be better handled on
the server side, with the publishing system converting <toc/> to the fully
expanded HTML (which could then be adjusted as needed on a per-site basis).