Strike Element Deprecated

From: Christopher Reynolds <christopher_reynolds@flightcentre.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:55:54 +1100
To: <public-html-comments@w3.org>
In reading
(section 3.4 - Absent Elements) I noticed that the strike element "not
in HTML 5 because [its] effect is purely presentational and therefore
better handled by CSS".
I feel that this is not the case in many sites that display prices to
customers. Often, when a price is reduced, the old price is displayed
using the strike element.
In this instance, the strike element is used to denote a piece of data
that was once correct, but has since been altered. If the function of
the strike element were to be handled by CSS, then there's a risk that
the site visitor could be presented with information that is intended to
be deprecated but is being presented as current.
I feel that the strike element should be listed in section 3.3 (Changed
alongside b and i due to the way it represents deprecated data.
Thanks and regards,
Chris J Reynolds
Website Production Manager
Flight Centre Australia