Re: HTML 5: The l (line) element

Dave Hodder wrote:

> It obviously won't work in the current crop of browsers that don't
> utilise CSS, such as Lynx.

Plus older browsers not supporting CSS at all, or an old vision of
CSS where users better disable it. ;-)

> From a CSS point of view, yes <ul> and <li> could be used to
> create the same visual effect.  From a semantic point of view,
> however, it doesn't feel quite right -- I want to express lines
> within a form, and I don't think of them as "list items" within
> an unordered list.

After all these years of "table layout is evil" brain washing I
tend to forget that tables with a single column can be fine, and
then "rows" can be "lines".  Your odd/even line colouring magic
should also work for rows.

> Thanks for pointing out my use of the 'size' attribute.

Oops, credits to validator.nu.  I said 'size' is *required* for
old browsers, no matter what the current "HTML5" draft proposes.

 [<i> vs. <l>]
> renaming it to <line> might be a solution.

If it's semantically almost the same as a table with one column
not adding it to the "HTML5" tag soup is also attractive. <gd&r>

 Frank