RE: [whatwg] postMessage() issues

Jonas Sicking wrote

"I think that's a really bad idea. Async vs. sync has a huge impact on how to use the API, it's very likely that anyone using the API will break if the implementation changes either way on this. So basically there is very little advantage over specifying nothing at all."

I agree with Jonas. The spec needs to call out the behavior here. Leaving it undefined will confuse developers. There are a few concerns on cross process boundary/tab communication with sync since it 'couples' entities across tabs/instances of the browser so that if one hangs the other one will be taken down as well. On the other hand, the cross frame messaging technique with the fragment today does not provide a way to do this and our current synchronous implementation of cross document messaging provides parity. Not to mention it's difficult for us to change our implementation at this stage. I'm a bit swamped right now and can't provide our team-wide stance on this just yet. In the absence of current guidance in the spec I'd like to talk to my team further on the cross tab/instance messaging  scenario and the sync/async model. I'll try to get back within 2 weeks with a MS position here.

Jonas Sicking Wrote

" No one is proposing an api where postMessage is returning an actual result though, right? And that would definitely require synchronous dispatch."

I have not heard of an actual result being proposed. We also have to be careful about returning failures for security reasons and fail silently, which if I'm not mistaken is what the spec does today (fails silently).

">  From one of Aaron Boodman's mails: if you're doing a postMessage()

> response back to a frame when it calls you, then the original frame

> will get called with your response before its original postMessage()

> actually returns.  This nesting feels bizarre compared to a more

> linear "I send a message, then I get a response" flow"

Jonas Sicking Wrote

" Yes, the nesting does feel a bit unusual. But it still seems easier to me to use since you'll get access to a result right after the call to postMessage, similar to a normal function call. No need to stow away any state you are currently carrying and then bring that back once you get a message back."

This removes the need to store any state and makes it simpler for the developer.