RE: charset

From: Rick den Haan <rick.denhaan@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:08:29 +0200
To: "'James Graham'" <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: <public-html-comments@w3.org>

James Graham wrote:
> I don't see what you're trying to do here that can't be achieved by simply
> using an encoding for the document that covers all the characters you
> UTF-8 would be an ideal choice.

Absolutely.  You know that, I know that, the people on this list know that,
but there will be plenty of developers out there facing this problem that
have never heard of UTF-8, and will run into problems when trying to put
Russian text in a document that doesn't use an encoding covering Russian

There's also another interesting problem which has nothing to do with HTML
per se, but with UTF-8 and the PHP/MySQL combination [1].  Somewhat
off-topic, but related, I feel.