From: Robin Berjon [mailto:robin@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 10:52 AM
To: HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)
Subject: New ED for HTML 5.1

Hi all,

at some point last year we started focussing completely on shipping 5.0, at which point we dropped the costly and painful cherry-picking we had been carrying out on 5.1. We knew it was not the way we wanted to handle things anyway.

The new system is now up. You can see the draft up at:

     http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/

There are several things to note here:

   • We dropped support for splitting the spec. Only a single-page version is now produced.

   • The https://github.com/w3c/html repository is no longer used for HTML. (It may still be used for other things.)

   • Edits to W3C HTML go into the generator's project at https://github.com/w3c/spork. You can track changes made there to see what they do to the spec. Obviously: PRs welcome.

   • Right now this only publishes HTML, but Spork supports profiles that can easily reuses pieces of code from one another. If you want to use the same project to publish something else, it's pretty straightforward.

   • I will be adding documentation to the project.

   • As soon as possible this will integrate with Echidna, and content will get pushed straight to /TR/.

Share & Enjoy!