Re: FYI: HTML5 is a Proposed Recommendation

On Wed, 2014-09-17 at 10:26 +0100, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> On 9/16/14 9:09 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> > We're one step closer to the Recommendation but, in light of the
> > normative reference policy [1], the HTML Working Group assumes that the
> > URL spec will advance from its Working Draft status to a more stable
> > status to ensure it is sufficiently stable for a normative reference.
> > The Director is considering whether Working Draft status is sufficient
> > for a normative reference from HTML5.
>
> Would you please elaborate on why the WHATWG's URL spec (that was a
> normative reference in the CR and the draft PR) was not acceptable by
> the Director?

The assumption was always that we would get a more stable URL draft
before we ship HTML5 to Rec, and it wasn't clear how much the URL
specification got reviewed. Changing that assumption so late wasn't seen
as a proper move. That still applies to the WD by the way, which isn't
clear whether it got enough reviews and is deemed stable enough.

Philippe