Re: Accessibility API Mappings - location in Github?

On 02/06/2014 9:23 PM, jason@accessibleculture.org wrote:
> Robin, Michael, Steve, Joseph,
>
> What do you think? Where do we want to put these things?
>
> I think it makes sense to keep all three (Core, HTML, SVG) mapping
> docs together in the same repo as they can easily reuse shared styles
> and scripts, e.g. show/hide table columns and details/summary.
Yes, that is highly desirable. The ARIA-related documents pull content
from each other (to generate proper cross reference links) as well as
share tools, so it's desirable to have them all in one repository.

> The recently renamed “Core Accessibility API Mappings 1.1” document
> currently resides in an “implementation” folder under the "w3c/aria"
> tree [1].
>
> What is presumably a placeholder for the SVG mapping guide is in an
> “svg” folder under the "w3c/aria" tree [2].
These documents are part of a deliberate effort to address different
host languages better with ARIA. But because of their close relationship
to ARIA and to each other in terms of what they do, it made sense to us
to put them in the w3c/aria repository together.

> The yet to be renamed “HTML to Platform Accessibility APIs
> Implementation Guide” lives in its own "w3c/html-api-map" tree [3].
>
> There’s a recent new tree for the PFWG [4]. Might this be a good
> location for these three and any future mapping guides?
This is meant for PFWG-developed documents *besides* ARIA. The thinking
is that ARIA has become a whole suite of documents and is of wider
interest than just of the PFWG, so makes sense to have a dedicated
repository that's not inherently associated with a particular WG. The
w3c/pfwg repository is for other things that don't need the close
relationship to ARIA.

> Or do we start a whole new tree, e.g. “w3c/a11y-api-map” and move
> everything there?
I wouldn't want to do that, because it loses the benefit of shared
resources that putting them all in the w3c/aria repository would bring.

> Without wanting to proliferate trees under the w3c repo, I think my
> preference is nonetheless to start a new one. But I’m easily swayed.
So in sum, my preference is to put all these docs in the w3c/aria
repository so we can keep them consistent with each other and share
tools most easily. Editors of the various specs from different Working
Groups can be given access to that repository as needed.

Michael