RE: EME is in the scope of the HTML WG

From: Fred Andrews <fredandw@live.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 04:01:03 +0000
To: Paul Cotton <paul.cotton@microsoft.com>
CC: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "public-html-admin@w3.org" <public-html-admin@w3.org>

I repeat, the director of the W3C has made no decision regarding
the EME work, and this is a matter of recent public record.  Your
communication is misleading and misrepresents the director of the
W3C and the work of the open web community.

I could damand you cease and desist, but lets face it the US
government is not going to let the conspirators face justice.

The contemporary open web works on a download-and-present model.
The open web allows users to add innovative new features to their
user agent and to freely redistribute user agents.  Users of the
open web are free to add a 'save as' button to their user agent
and to redistribute their user agent - including adding a 'save
as' button to EME software, or sandboxing EME software.  Users of
the open web can never be prosecuted for exercising these rights
alone.  Content producers can have no expectation of limiting the
rights of the open web community to innovate or to save content
or to circumvent broken software.  An open web user agent is
controlled by the user and as such can never be an effective
technological measure to prevent the saving of downloaded
content.  You are welcome to negotiate terms with users, but this
is a matter outside the open web technology.  No restrictive and
controlling technology, such as the EME, can change this design
of the open web, not even when championed by Tim or the W3C.  You
have now been informed of the operation of the open web, and it
makes the EME pointless and you will not be able to use it to
control or persecute except by deceit and doing so misrepresents
the open web community and the community reserves all rights in
this matter.

cheers
Fred