Re: Working Group Decision to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 17:36:43 -0600
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "public-html-admin@w3.org" <public-html-admin@w3.org>, "<public-html-media@w3.org>" <public-html-media@w3.org>
On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

> * Sam Ruby wrote:
> >The HTML WG co-chairs have reviewed[3] the efforts to resolve these bugs
> >and found there to be a good faith effort to do so, and accordingly are
> >approving the request to publish EME[4] as a FPWD.
>
> In the interest of having proper public records, I would like to ask the
> Chairs to revise the text above. The Chairs do not have any authority to
> approve requests for publication as First Public Working Draft. Only The
> Director can do that. And for Him to do so, the Chairs have to record
> the decision of the HTML Working Group to request publication. The above
> does not record anything along the lines of "The HTML Working Group has
> decided to request publication", as is required to request publication.
> I'm also asking the HTML Working Group to direct the Chairs accordingly.

I'm certain that what Sam means is that the chairs have made a
determination of consensus in the WG that publishing should proceed within
the defined process [1], namely, that the chairs in concert with the
editors forward a document to the team to pass through the remaining formal
process, e.g., having the director agree to a short name, etc. I'm sure
that Sam doesn't mean that the chairs have subsumed that remaining process.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/process.html#first-wd