Re: Proposed Permissive Copyright Experiment in HTML Working Group

On 01/05/2013 22:49 , Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> Today the W3C Director proposed to the W3C Membership a draft revision
> to the HTML Working Group charter:
>   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/charter/2013/
>
> The charter is unique because of a provision that would let the group
> decide whether to publish extension specifications under CC-BY, which is
> more permissive than W3C's Document License. The proposal intends to
> encourage collaboration.

[Speaking personally]

Using the RF policy in conjunction with a truly open copyright license
provides for both the widest ability to innovate in the farthest reaches
of the Web (through the open license) while at the same time maintaining
a particularly strong incentive to bring such innovation back to the W3C
for consensual alignment and interoperability (through the RF policy).

I know that many of the larger companies have a knee-jerk reaction at
the mere suggestion of an open license. It is perceived as coming from
the usual sandal-toting suspects, as political, if not as nonsense.
Nothing could be further from the truth: using RF and CC-BY together is
quite simply what makes the most business and strategic sense if your
business interests are aligned with having the best open web platform we
can get.

I strongly support this, and strongly encourage all of you to support it
too. If you work for a W3C member company, talk to your AC rep!