From: Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) [mailto:ifette@google.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:44 PM
To: Mathias Bynens
Cc: Andreas Kuckartz; public-html-admin@w3.org
Subject: Re: Oppose DRM ! Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

While I hate DRM as much as the next person, one has to ask what the alternatives are. It's all well and good for us to sit high on our morals and say "DRM bad!" but the reality is that the web is competing with other ecosystems (Native apps like iTunes, plugins like Silverlight and Flash) where DRM is available. By saying "No DRM in HTML5" it's not clear to me that we're not blowing off our own own hand in an effort to deal with a thorn in our finger. I think what this does is simply give people one more reason to say "The web is inadequate, we need to stick with our native apps or plugins".

My personal opinion only.

-Ian