Re: Oppose DRM ! Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

From: Clarke Stevens <C.Stevens@CableLabs.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 22:17:53 +0000
To: "Mays, David" <David_Mays@Comcast.com>, "john@netpurgatory.com" <john@netpurgatory.com>
CC: "Kotay, Sree" <Sree_Kotay@cable.comcast.com>, "ifette@google.com" <ifette@google.com>, Mathias Bynens <mathias@qiwi.be>, Andreas Kuckartz <a.kuckartz@ping.de>, "public-html-admin@w3.org" <public-html-admin@w3.org>
I think there are two critical points that we need to consider:

1. The proposed solution does not prevent content creators from
distributing their content without protection if they choose to do so.
Rejecting the specification would eliminate one collaboratively developed
and common means for content creators to distribute their content while
maintaining some additional control.

2. While rejecting the proposed solution might make a principled
statement, it is unlikely (IMO) to lead to the desired outcome of content
being distributed without restriction. It is much more likely to reinforce
the current status of providing proprietary and non-interoperable
solutions.

Thanks,
-Clarke Stevens
CableLabs