Re: Oppose DRM ! Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Timothy B. Terriberry <
tterriberry@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
>> Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ):
>>
>>> Also, why do people insist that drm is incompatible with foss? Yes,
>>> today's
>>>

>> I consider it impossible to do that while keeping the software open
>> until the opposite is proven.
>>

> So Sun Microsystems designed such a system a few years back:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Project_DReaM<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_DReaM>
>
> I never looked into the technical details, and the project was killed
> after the Oracle acquisition, but there's a proof point of something at
> least _claiming_ to provide DRM without security-through-obscurity. I agree
> with Roc's sentiments expressed elsewhere in this thread: an unbounded set
> of black boxes will not produce interoperability between and among both UAs
> and content providers. The reasons for objecting to proceeding to FPWD are
> that the authors have not even tried, nor shown any intention of trying, to
> document those black boxes, and this seems unlikely to change.

If we could recover the source code for this and make it work as DRM system
that EME could rely on, maybe this could resolve some of the issues around
EME.

I tried getting to anything that is still available freely about DReaM, but
everything has been taken offline. The only place I found anything is in
the Web Archive. I found this architectural overview:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090516173937/http://www.openmediacommons.org/collateral/DReaM-Overview.pdf

There are more documents at:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090516173937/http://www.openmediacommons.org/documentation.html

But the source code from dev.java.net was only available behind a login, so
I don't think the Web Archive ever got it.

Might this help someone to come up with a way to specify the "black boxes"
that Tim talks about?

Cheers,
Silvia.