Re: CfC: to publish "The srcset attribute" specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Anselm Hannemann
<info@anselm-hannemann.com>wrote:

>  On Thursday, 7. February 2013 at 10:11, Robin Berjon wrote:
>
> On 06/02/2013 23:39 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> I'm not sure if you saw this on the thread about the picture element
> CfC: after understanding that the two specifications are not competing
> with each other but are meant to complete each other to cover the
> responsive images use cases, I was left to wonder why we have two
> separate specifications.
>

> There's still some open discussion about which use cases need to be
> tackled, and how.
>
> While this is true, both specifications currently tackle different
> use-cases and for now are not yet fully compatible to each other.
> This should be fixed by next weeks but the use-cases will always be
> different:
> - picture is for art-direction mainly and is a completely new element
> while
> - the srcset attribute is an attribute which should be usable on picture
> and img element.
>
> For that I think authoring both specifications together to reach a good
> goal is important but I don't think we should merge
> both specifications into one covering all.

Why not? I assume you intend them to be merged into the HTML spec
eventually, so they will get together anyway. Also, the @srcset attribute
is used in both, and defining the same in two different specifications
doesn't make much sense to me.

I support the publication of the use case document as FPWD, but I'd like to
see the two almost-compatible proposals for <picture> and @srcset be merged
and published together as a FPWD, so we don't put browsers into the
difficult position of needing to choose which of the two @srcset
specifications to follow and implement and we don't end up with
incompatible implementations.

Regards,
Silvia.