Re: CfC: to publish "The picture element" specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On Monday, 4 February 2013 at 11:59, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com (mailto:w3c@marcosc.com)> wrote:
> > The reason we have not been able to merge the two is that srcset is specified in such a way that it is tightly bound to HTMLImageElement (meaning we can't reuse it with <source>); and the source element is tightly bound with media elements (audio and video), meaning we can't use it with <picture> without rewriting that part of HTML5. Because of the way HTML5 has been written (there is always an explicit tight coupling between algorithms, concepts, and elements - which is great for clarity), there is no simple way to reuse components from HTML5 in extension specifications such as <picture>.
>

> Sure there is. You just need to say which parts of the HTML5 spec you are replacing or extending.
We would only want to do this if we absolutely have to (and we actually have browser vendor support). Our preference is still to merge and let Hixie handle the details as he knows how to write all the bits together.
> I do wonder whether reusing <source> is a good idea or whether it should just be something different for images...

I wondered the same. But advice I got from different people was to resue existing elements instead of inventing new ones.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au