Re: CfC: to publish "The picture element" specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 11:49:20 +0000
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Mat Marquis <mat@matmarquis.com>, Fred Andrews <fredandw@live.com>, Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws>, "public-html-admin@w3.org" <public-html-admin@w3.org>, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>

On Monday, 4 February 2013 at 10:58, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> I admit I did not investigate but remembered somebody saying they'd done a trial implementation. I might be wrong.

I've only seen javascript-based implementations. I've also not seen any commitments from any browser vendors to implement either specification.
> I just think the less implementation exists, the easier it is to come up with a combined specification.

The reason we have not been able to merge the two is that srcset is specified in such a way that it is tightly bound to HTMLImageElement (meaning we can't reuse it with <source>); and the source element is tightly bound with media elements (audio and video), meaning we can't use it with <picture> without rewriting that part of HTML5. Because of the way HTML5 has been written (there is always an explicit tight coupling between algorithms, concepts, and elements - which is great for clarity), there is no simple way to reuse components from HTML5 in extension specifications such as <picture>.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au