From: silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 07:39:01 +1100
To: fredandw@live.com
CC: yoav@yoav.ws; mat@matmarquis.com; public-html-admin@w3.org
Subject: Re: CfC: to publish "The picture element" specification as a First  Public Working Draft (FPWD)

[- <public-respimg@w3.org>, <public-pua@w3.org> ; posting to multiple lists fragments email threads and is frowned upon]

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Fred Andrews <fredandw@live.com> wrote:

Section 8 'Adaptive images' of the srcset proposal appears inconsistent with the intent of the proposal.  There are examples using the srcset as a viewport media query to select between images.  Perhaps just remove this section.

 I agree that this section should be modified to accommodate the use of `srcset` with `<picture>`.

What I am hearing from the discussions is that the 'srcset' and the <picture> proposal are not alternatives but work best in combination. Is this correct?

If so, I would suggest the authors of both specifications to get together and write a single extension specification that includes the motivation for responsive image design, explains both approaches, their specifications, and examples on when to use what. As a Web author and browser developer I'd much prefer dealing with a single document for responsive images than two or now even three.

If this is not possible, I'd like to know the reasons. Thanks.

Regards,
Silvia.