RE: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

It is important to understand the interoperability made possible by the ISO MPEG Common Encryption standard. With this standard, two user agents using CDMs tied to different Key Systems may consume the same media providing the operator trusts that Key System. This was specifically created to enable commercial media interoperability, and all of the major DRM providers - including Microsoft - are supporting this new standard.

I believe W3C developing EME is a matter of good web stewardship. Let me explain why.

Cisco recently predicted that by 2016 the gigabyte equivalent of all movies ever made will cross global IP networks every three minutes - it would take 138 years to watch the video crossing that network every second, with video on demand traffic equivalent to 4 billion DVDs per month (Cisco Visual Networking Index: Forecast and Methodology, 2011-2016, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns525/ns537/ns705/ns827/white_paper_c11-481360_ns827_Networking_Solutions_White_Paper.html).

Web delivered video is becoming more than an alternative pipe for delivering broadcast television content, it is becoming a primary entertainment platform in its own right. Over time web and broadcast commercial media will become relatively indistinguishable to consumers.

Rapid growth will be brought about by new  standards.
- ISO/IEC 23001-7: 2011, "Information technology - MPEG systems technologies - Part 7: Common encryption in ISO base media file format files"
- ISO/IEC 23009-1:2012, "Information technology - Dynamic adaptive streaming over HTTP (DASH) - Part 1: Media presentation description and segment formats"

Common Encryption provides commercial web media interoperability - something entirely new for the web - with significant efficiencies for content delivery networks (CDN) and both network and edge-cache efficiency.
DASH enables media presentations to be defined which support live and on-demand delivery supporting "late binding" of alternate tracks. Not just for "adaptive bitrate streaming", but also as an interoperable mechanism for media presentation descriptions. Again with significant CDN, network and edge cache efficiency.

These specifications are being adopted worldwide by organizations like the Hybrid Broadband-Broadcast TV Consortium (HbbTV), the Digital Television Group (UK), and others. The pace of this adoption has been nothing short of staggering, across broadcasters, device manufacturers, and service providers.
Consumer experience of commercial web media

The Media Source Extensions (MSE) and the Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) - when combined with DASH and Common Encryption - constitute central components of a commercial web media receiver standard.

A commercial web media receiver standard will enable web-connected devices to be "receivers" of standardized web media "transmitters", without the need of a native application for each media service, removing a central friction point for wide distribution of commercial web media, both live and on demand, while removing the consumer-unfriendly "smart TV" application navigation problem.

The significance of this cannot be overstated. Here is why.

With broadcast television, optical media, TCP/IP and the World Wide Web, standards produced an inflection point which enabled large scale growth - commoditizing some technologies and creating new  horizontal markets. These earlier inflection points came about because standards adoption decoupled the 'transmitter' (broadcast station, optical media replicator, web server) from the 'receiver' (television set, optical media player, web browser).

The significance of this type of inflection point is generally understood only after the fact, because it is difficult to see beyond what seems obvious to realize a possibility which on hindsight will become the new obvious.

The ability to move from the native application model to an interoperable web "video receiver" model is precisely one of those transformative inflection points and will provide enormous value to web consumers.

This is why the W3C developing the MSE and EME specifications is good web stewardship, consumer friendly and important to both the web and the broadcast industries.

John

John C. Simmons | Media Platform Architect | Microsoft Corporation | direct 425-707-2911  | mobile 425-269-5759