Re: CfC: to publish HTML 5.1 specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

Hi Paul,

my rationale for:

>b) the *generator-unable-to-provide-required-alt* attribute [2]  be
separated out and go through the process of  publication as an extension
spec.

is that as stated in Plan 2014 the meta generator exception attribute is to
be pursued as an extension spec.[1]

My rationale for a) is that with 5.1 we have the opportunity for a fresh
start on a set of requirements that have never had consensus within the
working group and have only remained in the spec, because once it is in the
spec it is very hard to get something out. If the working group had had a
reasonable process for deciding technical consensus at the time 4.8.1.1 was
introduced, I believe they would not be there today.  The separating out
will provide the working group the opportunity to re-examine the text on a
level playing field.

as for c), hgroup is classified as an at risk feature, and it is  generally
agreed wholly deficient as a feature in HTML. So it gives the working group
the opportunity to re-examine the feature and look at alternatives.

Please note: I did not say I would object to publication BEFORE FPWD I only
asked that the working group consider the requests.

regards
SteveF

[1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/html5-2014-plan.html#issues