W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > September 2015

Meeting Minutes - 9/24/2015

From: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 10:59:50 -0500
To: "HTML Accessibility Task Force" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <013601d0f6e2$0bbd6df0$233849d0$@deque.com>
All,

 

Please find the minutes at: http://www.w3.org/2015/09/24-html-a11y-minutes.html as well as copied below.

 

 

HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

24 Sep 2015

 

See also: IRC log

Attendees

 

Present

    janina, plh, JF, judyb, Liam, Rich_Schwerdtfeger

Regrets

Chair

    janina

Scribe

    JF

 

Contents

 

    Topics

        Identify Scribe http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

        Agenda Edits & Additions

        TPAC Planning

        Transcript CfC http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2015Sep/0035.html

        Canvas 2D Level 1 Progress -- Rich, Mark, Janina, Paul, PLH

        Web Payments Followup

        Alt Doc Update -- Shane, Liam

        Drag & Drop: Does it work? Chaals

        IMEs -- Chaals

        Tab Panels Update -- Leonie, Et Al

    Summary of Action Items

 

<trackbot> Date: 24 September 2015

Identify Scribe http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

 

<scribe> scribe: JF

Agenda Edits & Additions

 

JS: any additions or edits?

 

[none]

TPAC Planning

 

JS: time to start discussing who will be there, and what we hope to achieve there

... I am planning to be there, and suspect we'll spend time Thurs or Fri looking at HTML concerns

... Liam, JF, Judy & PLH will also be there

... any hot items to discuss at TPAC?

 

hoping to have clarity around various WGs etc.

 

look at what is happening in TF

 

JS: seems some things, like acceskey and panels that will require continued work. A TF may likely be a productive thing to do

... any other thoughts here?

 

<liam> liam: the best thing to do at tpac is coordination, are there other WGs we should meet with?

 

JF: suggests we do not have enough people on today's call

 

JS: agrees, next item

Transcript CfC http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2015Sep/0035.html

 

JS: was hoping Paul would be here

 

PLH: Paul is travelling

 

JS: CfC concluded with no objections

 

PLH: prepared a number of them, not sure if Transcrip was one of them

 

expect to see a batch to clear next week

 

JS: will clear any off my desk this week as well

 

PLH: yes, get your side done, and Paul will handle his

... taking care of this - Liam need not worry

... publishing 2-3 a day right now

 

JS: Chaals also noted a different CfC re: old API mapping stub

 

<scribe> ACTION: PLH to go look at the CfC Chaals pointed out [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/09/24-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

 

<trackbot> Created ACTION-333 - Go look at the cfc chaals pointed out [on Philippe Le Hégaret - due 2015-10-01].

Canvas 2D Level 1 Progress -- Rich, Mark, Janina, Paul, PLH

 

JS: Proposed Recommendation around Canvas

 

PLH: this is all set

 

LQ: yes, this is what JS was saying - time for champagne!

 

PLH: most of the folks who worked on this are not around today - but thanks to all involved and recognition of work well done

Web Payments Followup

 

JS: nothing to report - looking for participants in an a11y User REquirements sub-team

... interested parties should post on list

 

JF: OK, because I am interested

Alt Doc Update -- Shane, Liam

 

JS: great work, seems like some minor edits and time for review

 

JF: has a note gone out requesting that review?

 

LQ: yes, please take a look at it

... may have been in minutes of a week or two ago

 

JS: will raise this as needing a wider review

... do we think it is ready for WCAG and EO to look at

 

JF: thinks the more the merrier

 

LQ: I've changed the direction of the document slightly - good, bad, other? Should we continue in the current direction. Think it should be included in HTML5 spec

 

<scribe> ACTION: Janina to send out note requestiong wider review (includes WCAG and EO) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/09/24-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]

 

<trackbot> Created ACTION-334 - Send out note requestiong wider review (includes wcag and eo) [on Janina Sajka - due 2015-10-01].

 

JS: welcomes Rich, notes that Canvas is out for AC balloting

Drag & Drop: Does it work? Chaals

 

JS: is it functional from an a11y point of view? Believe yes

 

RS: Never finished it. It started but then dropped off... would be surprised if there is any standardization there

 

JS: so then the simple answer is no?

 

RS: are there any plans?

... will this be picked up by the new Web Platforms group?

 

JS: not sure - thinks this may be why Chaals asked to have this added

 

RS: not seen any discussion around drag and drop

 

PLH: D & D is part of HTML5 spec. so is this going to be picked up by web platform group? yes

... it is part of the spec

 

<plh> http://www.w3.org/TR/html51/editing.html#dnd

 

RS: looking this over now

... has it been implemented across all browsers?

 

<liam> http://caniuse.com/#search=drag suggests IE, Edge, ff, chrome, safari opera, but not on mobile

 

PLH: believe yes, but thinks that it was not properly tested. It didn't make 5.0 because of that, but it is still in 5.1

 

RS: So we need to look at this again then, and/but we need to see it implemented in all the browsers

 

PLH: as I understand, it is working everywhere already

 

RS: so yes, looks like we will need to look at it

... deprecating DnD in ARIA, because it wasn't in 5.0

 

people already have implementations around this. What we need to do is to re-look at this for ARIA 2.0, and make a decision then. Deprecation gives us an opportunity to look at it later

 

RS: have not seen any documentation around how this maps to HTML services layers

... value of deprecation is to note that we'll revisit this down the road - people are not happy with current ARIA spec there

 

one of the consultants noted that some sites (under litigation) will be (could be) impacted by this, so tread gently...

 

RS: notes that the HTML (5.1) a11y mapping spec needs to include support for DnD

... How should we do that? file a defect?

 

JS: probably yes

 

RS: do we have any idea the impact of this on other host langugages? SVG?

 

PLH: not sure

 

RS: what is the timeline for 5.1? Has that been decided yet?

 

(final req)

 

PLH: not sure at this time - it is complicated

... suspect that this will be a key discussion at TPAC

... current process is difficult - we keep creating patches which is cumbersome

IMEs -- Chaals

 

JS: Chaals asked to have this added. Apperntly there is ongoing activity around content editable

 

<janina> Is anyone actively working on Content Editable?

 

JF: asks for clarity around "anyone" and "working"

 

LQ: PLH may know

 

PLH: short answr is yes, small group and not enough

 

it is tricky and arcane as well

 

some are asking to move the deliverables into an incubator group instead

 

<janina> So, Chaals is asking for someone with a11y chops to take up the commitment for Content Editable

 

late spring we lost 2 key people. significant piece of work, do not expect rapid progress

 

PLH: there seems to be a lack of energy here

Tab Panels Update -- Leonie, Et Al

 

JS: suspect we can wrap up now.

... ajorned.

 

<liam> [additional thanks to Rich on canvas]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Janina to send out note requestiong wider review (includes WCAG and EO) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/09/24-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]

[NEW] ACTION: PLH to go look at the CfC Chaals pointed out [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/09/24-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

[End of minutes]

 

​-- 

John Foliot

Principal Accessibility Strategist

Deque Systems Inc.

 <mailto:john.foliot@deque.com> john.foliot@deque.com

 

Advancing the mission of digital accessibility and inclusion

 
Received on Thursday, 24 September 2015 16:00:19 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 24 September 2015 16:00:20 UTC