RE: Transcript extension proposal

From: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 08:41:26 -0500
To: <lwatson@paciellogroup.com>, "'Nigel Megitt'" <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>, <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Léonie Watson wrote:

> For example a media player product could target <transcript> for default
styling,
> or an AT that uses semantics could convey the start/end of the transcript
> users, or browsers could implement shortcuts for navigating to the
transcript
> content.

...and that second point was a very strong argument for having the container
of the actual transcript have its own semantic... screen readers (today) are
notorious for not knowing when they have left a <div> [sic] as numerous
overlays and footnote examples have shown in the past. A discrete container
for transcripts is our best bet for 'self-containment'.

Cheers!

JF