Re: New iOS function might help us fix accessKey?

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 18:36:41 +0100, David MacDonald <david@can-adapt.com>
wrote:

> Hot sure if this might help but here it is...
>
> for discoverability of dedicated proprietary keys in an app...
>
> http://nshipster.com/uikeycommand/

It is somewhat similar, in that it provides a way to give the user
information about what a key actually *does*.

But there are key differences:

1. It is for apps - which have basically total control of the system.
There are very few things you can do on an iThing which aren't caught by
the app, as a rule.

By contrast, on the Web you may be using javascript libraries to build
your content. In addition, you may be incorporating content (although this
has become harder as security has been tightened). Your user may be using
javascript injected into the page, via extensions, to provide
functionality they think is key. And finally, unlike on an iOS app, you
don't really *know* what platform you are on - and you absolutely cannot
predict the various platforms that will be used to run an app.

2. This apparently only affects keys, as the HTML5 accesskey algorithm
does - and unlike the access module for XHTML 2 which deliberately set out
to allow the user agent to pick *appropriate shortcut behaviour*, which
might be a key or key combination, a gesture with a mouse or touch or in
the air using a wiimote or kinect or similar, a voice command, or
something else entirely. (Yes Virginina, people have been using telepathy
- or at least brain wave controllers - since the last century). Given that
key commands are more or less unused in the iOS platform, that gives them
an easier life than we have on the Web.

thanks for the pointer though. There is definitely some sensible stuff in
there, and it proves that not everyone has turned their brains off and
decided making shortcuts discoverable is somehow a bad idea.

cheers