Re: Call for consensus - transcript extension

Hi Silvia, all,

20.06.2015, 03:20, "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>:
> I'm not clear what 1) entails.
>
> If you're asking me whether the spec is ready to be used as an
> extension spec or Working Draft, then I have to object.

It is obviously not ready to be used as an extension spec. It could be an early working draft or editors' draft.

> If you're asking me whether this task force should continue improving
> this spec as an unofficial document, then I'm ok with it.
>
> To be clear:
> * The document is a discussion paper and not a specification at this
> stage, because it contains use cases and requirements that are not met
> by the proposed specification

You mean by none of the approaches? Could you clarify with comments on the document (i.e. not in this thread) please?

> and it contains alternative linking
> approaches that are not prescriptive which one should be specified. It
> would be unclear to an implementer what to implement.

Agreed.

> * Also, from a more technical approach, I don't agree that
> "delineation" requires introduction of a new element - I've expressed
> this before.

Noted. I sort of agree, but I'll explain the rationale outside this thread.

> * I also object to several of the linking approaches.
>
> As for 2) - that only applies to WD of WG documents, so I'm not sure
> why that would be relevant to an unofficial document.

If we are going to continue the work, and if we get a document ready for Publication while the group is still under its old charter, it would be nice (but not essential) to have already determined whether we are going to shift it immediately to the new Process.

> In short: I am supportive of this group continuing work on
> transcripts, but I don't believe the work is ready for prime time yet.

Subject to you stating otherwise, I read that as support for making the draft into the TF's editors' draft, and not answering the second question.

cheers

Chaals