Re: ACTION-1642: New aria-kbdshortcuts property (for Issue 711)

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 5:36 AM Birkir Gunnarsson <
birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com> wrote:

> 1.       aria-kbdshortcuts = aria-keys (the other is just too long and
> spelling is too obscure).

I think aria-keys is good. It's short. Also, nobody seems to agree what a
"shortcut" is, and one could argue that a gesture could be a shortcut too.
I'd love to think about gestures in a different attribute, but for an
attribute just about keyboard shortcuts, aria-keys seems as clear as
possible.

> 2.       Why do we restrict ourselves to only one non-modifier key? I am
> thinking of Voiceovers right/left arrow pressed simultamiously to to switch
> modes, I like the idea of being able to use arrow keys, easy operation (as
> opposed to trying to execute say, ctrl-alt-shift-q which causes hand
> cramping).

I wouldn't strongly object to this, but I think using two non-modifier keys
in a shortcut is rare. My goal is to make existing apps more accessible,
not to promote new keyboarding models. If you can point to a single popular
web app that provides a shortcut involving two non-modifier keys now that'd
go a long way to change my mind.

> 3.       (probably premature), what about custom touch gestures (keyboard
> equivalent on touch-screen devices)? Anything we can do about that as part
> of this attribute?

I'd love to have this discussion but I think we could just use a different
attribute for this.