Binding gestures and voice was Re: aria-kbdshortcuts property (for Issue 711)

From: Chaals McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 11:40:23 -0400
To: "Birkir Gunnarsson" <birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com>, "John Foliot" <john.foliot@deque.com>, "HTML Accessibility Task Force" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, "Dominic Mazzoni" <dmazzoni@google.com>
Cc: public-pfwg@w3.org
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 11:45:36 -0400, Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 5:36 AM Birkir Gunnarsson <
> birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com> wrote:

>> 3.       (probably premature), what about custom touch gestures
>> (keyboard equivalent on touch-screen devices)? Anything we can do
>> about that as part of this attribute?
>>
> I'd love to have this discussion but I think we could just use a
> different attribute for this.

We could. There is no sound reason why accesskey cannot take a list of
space-sperated strings instead of single characters.

Which leaves the way open to defining a grammar for gestures (not a hard
task, since most platforms say the same things), and incidentally allowing
the use of a word that can be distinguished from other activation commands
with a speech recognition system.

All while providing all the machinery required to let users decide how to
deal with conflicts - and even to let apps do a simple "negotiation"
process.

cheers