W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > August 2015

Minutes: HTML-A11Y Task Force 13 August 2015

From: Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:36:55 -0400
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <55CCB997.4080003@igalia.com>
Link: http://www.w3.org/2015/08/13-html-a11y-minutes.html

Plain text follows:

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

              HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

13 Aug 2015

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2015/08/13-html-a11y-irc

Attendees

   Present
          janina, Joanmarie_Diggs, LJWatson, IanPouncey,
          Judy_Brewer

   Regrets
          Cynthia_Shelly, Mark_Sadecki

   Chair
          janina

   Scribe
          Judy, joanie

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Identify Scribe
            http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scr
            ibe_List
         2. [5]Agenda Edits & Additions
         3. [6]Canvas 2D Level 1 Progress -- Rich, Mark, Janina,
            Paul, PLH
         4. [7]Transcript Support Update -- Chaals
         5. [8]HTML Details & ARIA Describedat -- Rich, Janina
         6. [9]Alt Doc Update -- Shane, Liam
         7. [10]Tab Panels Update -- Leonie, Et Al
         8. [11]Web Payments Accessibility Followup
         9. [12]Bug Triage -- Leonie
        10. [13]TF Open Actions http://w3.org/wai/pf/html/track
     * [14]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 13 August 2015

Identify Scribe
[15]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

     [15] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

Agenda Edits & Additions

   <Judy> scribe: Judy

Canvas 2D Level 1 Progress -- Rich, Mark, Janina, Paul, PLH

   JS: agenda mods?

   All: nothing

   JS: Canvas 2D update? No Rich yet. Deferred.

Transcript Support Update -- Chaals

   JS: Got comments on minutes from CMN.
   ... he suggested we find some potential implementer before FPWD

   <LJWatson> JB: Think Chaals said implementors rather than
   implementor.

   <LJWatson> ... Also that although it would be good to get
   implementor support before first working draft, it isn't
   essential.

   JB: But it's a good practice, so let's ask

   Joanie: Would be potentially interested, but would be concerned
   about time

   JS: Would be good to get confirmation of approach
   ... then next stage, some support in presentation engines in
   webkit in mozilla
   ... we'd need to put it into the user agents first

   lw: Multiple solutions to consider, then take it to browsers

   <joanie> scribe: joanie

   js: I do want to note that Charles corrected regarding the W3C
   repository for transcript.

   lw: I saw that, but we still have multiple options in the spec.
   ... One is marked as our suggested approach.
   ... I wonder if we should get to the point where the spec
   contains only a single approach.
   ... The Media task force seems like a good place to start.

   js: I agree.

HTML Details & ARIA Describedat -- Rich, Janina

   js: I wanted to flag the task force that there is a very deep
   requirements conversation going on with DPub and ARIA.
   ... DPub has requirements for longer text description. This is
   an ongoing conversation.
   ... We are taking a second look at all the various mechanisms
   which have been, or are now, being discussed.
   ... To date, we haven't found a solution that addresses all the
   requirements.
   ... But the old HTML details is starting to look like it might
   work, though it's missing certain attributes.
   ... My recollection of why details didn't make it into the HTML
   spec is lacking implementations.
   ... Anyone else know?

   jb: I remember when that had been suggested for this particular
   requirement, that people had looked at it pretty closely and
   there were multiple problems with the implementations,
   including screen reader compatibility with them.
   ... Also the mix of information in it, which would impact
   discoverability along with predictability of what would happen
   when a screen reader encountered one.
   ... I would assume there has been sufficient time to address
   the implementation issues.
   ... However my impression that the mix of information in the
   feature and the discoverability are still issues as far as I am
   aware.

   js: That's why we're considering the use of an ARIA role: to
   disambiguate the purpose of a given details element.
   ... This is an FYI as much as anything, namely that it is back
   on the table with respect to meet the needs of publishing.

   lw: I don't believe those browsers that have implemented
   details or summary don't support accessibility.
   ... This is a few months out of date, so it's worth double
   checking.

   jb: I looked longer ago than that, but my recollection is that
   some of the information was exposed, but other information was
   not.

   jb + js: This is why we're going to have a meeting in the next
   hour (scribe addition: In the ARIA task force meeting)

   lw: I'll try to be there.

   js: For the contextual record, publishers are not finding
   longdesc sufficient because it only applies to image. They
   would like something that can be applied to any element.
   ... And while they are interested in annotations, that seems to
   be further out.

   lw: I just wanted to add a link for the html5 accessibility
   support (above)

Alt Doc Update -- Shane, Liam

   js: I'm eager to move forward on this. But with people on
   vacation, etc....

   <janina> Understand, Liam! Thanks!

   jb: Liam is at a conference.

Tab Panels Update -- Leonie, Et Al

   lw: Brian has been doing some work to update the prototypes.

   <liam> [Liam hopes to do a new alt draft next week, but might
   be when I get back from CSS F2F so first week of September]

   lw: Beyond that, nothing to report.

Web Payments Accessibility Followup

   js: There are not enough of us here to talk about this topic.
   ... As a reminder, please look at the proposed charters.

Bug Triage -- Leonie

   lw: Nothing to report this time.

TF Open Actions [16]http://w3.org/wai/pf/html/track

     [16] http://w3.org/wai/pf/html/track

   js: We don't have any open items to discuss at this time

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 13 August 2015 15:37:32 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 13 August 2015 15:37:33 UTC