Preliminary WebVTT accessibility review

Dear Thierry, All:

The HTML-A11Y Task Force has reviewed the WebVTT FPWD specification
during our face to face meeting this past Friday 17 April. Minutes of
this session are available at:
http://www.w3.org/2015/04/17-html-a11y-minutes.html#item01

Our reference document for accessibility requirements is the note track
"Media Accessibility User Requirements (MAUR)" available at:
http://w3c.github.io/pfwg/media-accessibility-reqs/

Please note that several people took follow up actions to provide
additional details in the next week or so. Meanwhile, these are the
concerns we identified:

Concern:	Users of Magnification

We have concerns regarding the impact on users of magnification with
respect to several WebVTT specifications. Has the group considered its
specification's impact on users of magnification? Items raising this
concern included:

*	Snap to flag
*	Sizing of the captions rendering area
*	Visibility of captions when text is zoomed

Concern:	The spec should include feature explanations in plain
language

We are concerned that too often in this document a feature's function
can only be understood by parsing the provided algorithms. We would
prefer plain language explanations be included. A specific case in point
would be Sec. 6.1.

Concern:	Captions on the audio element

We believe this section misrepresents the situation. It is incorrect to
tell the user "There is nothing to render." When captions are provided
for audio content there is indeed something to render, even if the
available user agent is incapable of rendering it.

Concern:	CSS

We did not identify specific items of concern, but are committed to
follow up and may request a joint meeting to better understand the
implementation of CSS in this specification.

Janina

*

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200