Re: TF response to your comments on HTML5 Image Description Extension (longdesc)

On Sep 2, 2014, at 4:09 PM, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:

> Joanmarie Diggs writes:
>> ... Below please find text Igalia would like you to consider incorporating
>> into the specification.
>>

> YOUR COMMENT #1:
>> Proposed Additions to "3.0.2 Authors"
>>
>> *  Authors MUST NOT rely solely on longdesc as the means to provide
>>  access to information which is essential for the user.
>
> DISPOSITION: Not accepted

I understand Joanie's comment on behalf of Igalia to be in line with Principle 4 of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines:

WCAG Principle 4: Robust - Content must be robust enough that it can be interpreted reliably by a wide variety of user agents, including assistive technologies.

WCAG Guideline 4.1 Compatible: Maximize compatibility with current and future user agents, including assistive technologies.

Citation: <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#robust>

> Whether a longdesc is essential or nonessential will depend on
> circumstance. It will vary among users, and will even vary for the same
> user given different circumstances.

The original comment was about requiring AUTHORS to provide robust content for the sake of these USERS. The HTML-A11Y group may have overlooked this point. I assume this response was only discussed in a conference call; I didn't see it discussed on the email list or I would have pointed this out.

> The point of the longdesc feature is to make it easy for the user to
> access that information, or to readily skip past it as their needs of the moment
> may dictate.

There are a number of ways to achieve this, including using a standard link.

Thanks,
James Craig